One popular theme for bathrooms right now is a nautical theme. Since water is constant presence in a bathroom, it makes sense to continue this theme onward and go all out. Here are the steps you need to take to make your bathroom nautical.
1. Choose your metal color. Bathrooms have metal in their faucets, curtain rods, light fixtures, towel rods, toilet paper holders, and sometimes along the mirror. You will want all of the metal to be the same color so decide what color you like the best before changing any of them. Silver and chrome work really well with the nautical theme. (For more information, contact Central Plumbing Specialties).
2. Choose your paint color. Navy is a great wall color for this theme. It can be overpowering on its own, though, so you can do:
- navy and white stripes
- one wall navy and the others white
- white wainscoting along the bottom and paint navy on top
3. Purchase new towels. This is a great way to add a "pop" of color. Red and salmon look great with navy and other blues. You can also get matching rugs.
4. Think about your lighting. Choose light fixtures that have the same metal as your other fixtures. How bright would you like the light? Do you want to put in a dimmer? Would you like the lights to hang down and dangle from the ceiling or would you like them attached to the wall?
5. Accessorize. This can be really fun. There are all sorts of ways you can decorate your bathroom. You can:
- tie thick rope in circles to create a place to hang towels
- place sea shells and sand in shadow boxes
- hang a life preserver on the wall
- take pictures of you and your family at the beach and hang them on the walls
- buy baskets to hold towels, bath toys, and toiletries
- put pieces of driftwood in a frame or hang them directly on the wall
- find a ship's wheel and place it in the corner or hang it up
- purchase a model ship and leave it on the corner of the counter
6. Get a shower curtain. You can get a curtain with ships or lighthouses on it or you can go with something simpler. A shower curtain with navy and white strips would look great, as would one with some red/salmon in it. You can also go with a plain white, which would look particularly wonderful if you have navy walls.